Sunday 4 October 2015

Introduction

I am really looking forward to starting this special effect unit. I haven’t really done a lot of prosthetic makeup therefore feel it will be an interesting new project for me. I am excited to learn how changing somethings shape and texture can alter the appearance of the human face and body and also learning to distort, age and texture the skin. Thinking about SFX makeup I automatically think about bloody wounds and infected cuts, but after some research I found that it is a lot more than that, covering; skin disorders, using bald caps, 3D effects and bruising. SFX makeup is usually found in the entertainment industry so artists are usually hired for theatres, film and television productions, theme parks, cruise ships or avant-garde fashion shows.
When looking at SFX makeup I found the definition that it is ‘the process of using prosthetic sculpting, moulding and casting techniques to create advanced cosmetic effects.’ With this in mind I can wait to do research on hybrids that have appeared on TV shows and see how it could affect my design for this project.
The only experience that I have in special effects is the work we did in 1st year, which included; theatrical aging, aging of the hands, burns, bruising, scars, cuts and wounds. As this was the first time I experienced SFX makeup at first I felt like I was being thrown into the deep end but in the end I found it really fascinating, learning how people aged differently and where the age lines appear and the process of bruising and how they heal. 
Picture of some of the SFX work I did in 1st year. 


For this unit I am looking forward to creating my hybrid character, I am going to research different animals and see how I can merge them into one. Also getting research from TV shows and nature to get inspiration for this part of the unit. I expect that I am going to have to work really hard for this unit, and I worry that I may struggle with the technical sides to but I am confident that I will try my hardest and do well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment